COMPLETE TOOLKIT FOR SMALL BUSINESSES
November 30, 2021
Small Businesses are the lifeblood of our communities, as the places we work, eat, shop, play and gather. Small businesses are uniquely affected by the global pandemic. Still, they stand up for their communities and their workers through generosity and action. On GivingTuesday, small businesses around the world will once again rally together for those in need.
What is GivingTuesday?
- GivingTuesday is a global day of generosity that will take place on Nov 1, 2021.
- GivingTuesday is a global generosity movement, unleashing the power of people and organizations to transform their communities and the world.
- GivingTuesday strives to build a world in which the catalytic power of generosity is at the heart of the society we build together, unlocking dignity, opportunity, and equity around the globe.
- GivingTuesday was created in 2012 as a simple idea: a day that encourages people to do good. Over the past eight years, this idea has grown into a global movement that inspires hundreds of millions of people to give, collaborate, and celebrate generosity.
- People can show their generosity in a variety of ways during GivingTuesday–whether it’s helping a neighbor, advocating for an issue, sharing a skill, or giving to causes, every act of generosity counts.
- Generosity is what brings people of all races, faiths, and political views together across the globe. Generosity gives everyone the power to make a positive change in the lives of others and is a fundamental value anyone can act on.
- GivingTuesday emphasizes opportunities to give back to communities and causes in ways that allow people to embody social connection and kindness.
- We all have gifts to give, and with social media, online giving, delivery, mail, and phones, there are limitless ways to use your generosity to support others.
Ideas for Participation
GivingTuesday is about giving of all types — some businesses may choose to give a financial contribution to their favorite cause or a fundraising drive, others will opt to reach out to neighbors, start an advocacy campaign, donate goods or extra supplies, share gratitude to frontline workers and those keeping us safe. If you can show generosity and share kindness, you have something to give!
In many communities, a GivingTuesday leader might be organizing efforts to rally the community. If so, connect with them to join efforts and amplify voices.
There are many ways businesses can be a part of this global day of generosity by using their platforms, talents and resources for good.
- Launch a fund where others can help your employees and their families.
- Show gratitude and shine a light on your employees and customers thanking them for their support on your social channels.
- Raise money for an organization or cause you and your employees are passionate about.
- If you have a storefront, coordinate a drive of specific goods and coordinate pickup with a nonprofit that can get them to the right people or give to neighbors around your business.
- Share kindness with your neighbors–have employees check on those who are alone, elderly or may need help with errands or a friendly call.
- In your business front, post a poster/sign of support for your community’s essential workers, neighbors and passers by to cheer them up and on.
- Use your social channels to encourage others to share kindness and be generous.
- If you are a restaurant or store, make a few extra dishes or package excess inventory and give to a few elderly neighbors or essential workers.
- Have a team with a special talent or skill, consider sharing it with others online while fundraising for a nonprofit or offer a free training session.
- Ask a “friendly” competitor to co-sponsor a take out dinner with you to send to employees or frontline workers.
Social Media Ideas
Simple Ways to Spread the Love
- Post an #Unselfie–a post on social media that shares a message about why your business gives back and what you are passionate about
- Create an online fundraiser for your favorite organization or support current efforts of a nonprofit your business cares about
- Change your business’s Twitter display name to show your support for a nonprofit or a community.
- Add Facebook frame to your profile to show that you’re giving back for GivingTuesday
- Add an Instagram donate sticker to your story
- Share a story about who is inspiring you to help and why your community is so important to you
- Use our “Together we…” theme to share ideas how together we can help (see graphics below for ideas!)
- Add a link to a favorite nonprofit in your instagram profile.
Follow or tag us with your ideas:
Connect with us so we can help boost your ideas!
- Talk about giving and generosity using the hashtag #GivingTuesday and #ShopSmall
- Share our Facebook posts — facebook.com/GivingTuesday
- Follow us on Twitter @GivingTuesday
- Find us on TikTok— givingtuesday
- Post your photos, videos and #UNselfies on Instagram: @GivingTuesday
Email is one of the most effective ways to communicate with your audience this time of year. To make sure your subscribers don’t miss a thing you’re doing this holiday season, we recommend sending a 5-email campaign:
Email #1: Give your subscribers a heads up as soon as you can, letting them know about your special offers on Small Business Saturday and how you’ll be participating in Giving Tuesday.
Email #2: Send a reminder email about a week before the holiday shopping weekend. Make sure to include the date, your specific offer, and everything they need to know about your sale.
Email #3: Send an email on Small Business Saturday. Let your subscribers know about your promotion and how much you value their support on Small Business Saturday.
Email #4: Send an email on Giving Tuesday. Let your audience know about a cause you care about and encourage them to donate or volunteer.
Or, you could even lead a volunteer group and let your audience know your store will be closed so you can spend time giving back to your community. Consumers want to support brands who give to others and do their part to make their community a better place.
Email #5: Say thank you. Segment your list and say thank you to those subscribers who supported you during Small Business Saturday or Giving Tuesday.
Your last email is also a good opportunity to follow up with an exclusive offer. Focus on ways to provide ongoing value to your customers through discount codes, guides, courses or other types of content that will help them.
In Store Ideas
While many shoppers are more likely than ever to take their shopping online due to COVID-19, it’s possible your store may still see some foot traffic.
Make sure to promote your offers with store signage to encourage shoppers and passersby to take advantage of your special discounts (but be sure to remind them about social distancing guidelines and indoor patron limits).
You can also run a donation drive on GivingTuesday. Collect non-perishable food or home goods to bring to a nonprofit’s collection. And be sure to take lots of photos along the way so your customers can see how big of a collective impact they helped you make.
- We are showing our support for [cause/nonprofit] this November 30th for #GivingTuesday. Together we can heal the world.
- We are proud to stand with people around the world in raising awareness & support for those helping our communities. Join us giving back this #GivingTuesday: https://givingtuesday.org.
- Join me and millions around the world in giving back, spreading kindness, and showing how together we can be a force for good on #GivingTuesday: https://givingtuesday.org.
- We are showing our support for [cause/nonprofit] this November 30th for #GivingTuesday. Together we can give back to communities around the world.
- We are proud to stand with people around the world in raising awareness & support for those helping our communities. Join us giving back this #GivingTuesday: http://givingtuesday.org.
- Join me and millions around the world in giving back, spreading kindness, and showing how together we can be a force for good on #GivingTuesday: givingtuesday.org.
Use our Canva templates and posters + help get the word out about GivingTuesday
Make a difference in your community + inspire others to join in!